Friday 8 May 2015

The other fight of this Generation

Manny v Mayweather might have been on pay per view, but I was ring side for the biggest showdown I've ever seen...

But since I'm terrible with names, and even worse at foreign languages, that means I'm really bad at foreign names.  So we will call it Trainer vs Chinaman: Fracas in the Far East.

Rewind....

I realise I haven't posted since Sunday, and it now being (checks clock) Thursday there has been some time passed by.

Some people have gone, and some have arrived.  The natural turn over cycle continues.

Two French guys have arrived, one of which has been here before, and a nice guy from Iran.

The Frenchies seem to be able to speak English fairly well, but seem to keep to themselves or the people the one guy remembers from last time.  Apparently they are only here for the Muay Thai program... and I know I'm not one to talk, but they could do with switching to the Salad menu if you know what I mean.

Moen the Iranian though is nice.  Speaks good English, good for a chat, and is doing Krav Maga as well, so now there is three of us.

(Aside: I am humbled by all these people who know more than one language.  I blame both Australias isolation, and our poorly structured language courses in the Education system.)

The "vibe" continues, with people disappearing entirely, or just not showing up for lessons (*cough* French guys *cough*).
Pierre hasn't been seen in a few days, and Chris decided to take a few days off and get a hotel room in Pattaya.
So we go from 10 for Muay Thai in the afternoon, down to as low as three.

My motivation has been waning a little, but it's come back in the last few days.  Ain't nothing to it but to get down to it.

I did get a little annoyed when the lunches went Tuna Salad one day, Salmon Salad the next, and Tune Salad again.
I dislike both Tune and Salmon.

The second time it came up I ate some watermelon, the boiled egg in the salad, then went down to the shops and got some Peanuts, Pringles and one of those bread roll things again. (Oh, delicious Carbs).

So, Wednesday night comes around, and Gavin is heading into town for the fight, so I tag along on my bike.  We end up getting there an hour early and just hang out.
The 1500 ticket ($56 AUD) came with a free bottle of water, and entry into this really new and good looking stadium.  12 air-conditioners blasted everyone, and the place only ended up being about a fifth full.  Being a weekday fight and all I guess.

The first fight was between the Trainer and the Chinaman.  It started a little slow, I guess each one feeling the other out.
Then a few big hits and the guy later told me that he took a shin to the ear that if it was any harder would have knocked him out.
But it stayed on his feet and mid way through the second round he threw a hard right elbow to the guys forehead.
During the round intermission (At which point the lights in the stadium resemble a rave, and they pump LMFAO's Sexy and I Know it at full volume) they try to patch up the wound that appeared on the Chinamans head.  But they can't, so it's given to the Trainer as a Technical KnockOut and the guy later required 30 stitches.

The next two matches were fun to watch, but not spectacular, and I was a little underwhelmed at paying close to $60 for only three fights of three rounds each.  But I was still glad I saw the guy fight, and it was a good night out.

We jump back on the bikes and head back to the camp, with a little detour nearby for some dinner.
And boy was it some dinner.

A local place just down the road called Kelly's Bar and Grill.
Very nice place, well appointed, and both Cheap and Delicious.

I had chicken satay skewers which came with toast for some reason, and then a Bacon CheeseBurger with sauteed Onion.... and chips.
And it might be the salads speaking, but it was one of the best burgers I've ever had.
It wasn't huge, probably a bit smaller than a Big Mac, but the patty was thick and juicy.  Oh, it was great... I'm heading back there on Sunday, I don't care if I gain weight this week, this burger was worth it.
Oh, and with two lemon soda waters, it came to less than fifteen dollars.

So that's where we are now.  Some photos and a video of the fight below.

And as a side note, one bedroom apartment, walking distance from down town Pattaya, on the beech, for less than a house deposit in Australia ($37k).






1 comment:

  1. You're gonna have to work extra hard to work all that deliciousness off! Don't make it harder on yourself! And watch out for peants and pringles, high calorie (delicious) bastards. A Lambo in thailand is rare as fuck, usually its a thousand civics with racing stripes lol

    ReplyDelete