Wednesday 22 April 2015

60 years of it being hot in Thailand and I'm here now...

The end of Tuesday and time for another update.

Yesterday was I guess the first full day of training and it went pretty well.
Muay Thai in the morning, lots of bag work and some pads.
Breakfast was the Egg white omelet with veggies.... think I might mix it up tomorrow and get the pancake (No ice cream or syrup allowed).

The afternoon was stretching first up, and cardio, which was good... but bloody hot still.
Luckily they opened the big sliding gate and a fantastic breeze came in which easily took 10 degrees off the temp (Down to 30).

This was the point last time that I passed out, so from here on out was all new.

After the stretching and cardio and such was some Muay Thai Technique.
How to stand at the start, the six stances before a fight.
Everyone was standing in a line and we had to sound off in Thai, which was easy for me, remembering how to count.  If you got your number wrong you had to do 10 push-ups.  Safe in that respect.
Although, full honesty, I have reverted to doing "girl" pushups on my knees.  That's how damn hot it is.

The Technique bit was very interesting.
We didn't have gloves on, which was great, because they weigh your hands down something shocking.
We stepped out combos, punch, jab, uppercut left, knee right, superman elbow.
I really like that aspect, learning the moves and jumps.

That was Monday.

Then came Tuesday.

38 degrees Celsius by 9am.
Hottest day on record in 60 years.

So naturally, we train in it... and even the guys who normally last the whole time are taking long breaks.
I did some bag and pad work again and had to call it quits, way too much for me at the moment.
Meanwhile, the Thai's that sweep the walkways are wearing Jeans, plastic jacket, gloves, two hats and a towel across their face.

The afternoon session was still too hot, so I skipped the first part of it.  Waited for the sun to go down a bit before venturing into the heat.
Did a bit of cross trainer and chest presses on the machines.  My biceps are killing me.
Having to hold my hands in the boxing pose for soooooo long.
I thought I had some guns, but damn, this hurts.
So trying to get a few more muscles in that department.

After that, last thing as some people filtered out was some technique work in the ring.
And by the way, the rings are only about 2-3 foot higher than the ground, but with no breeze it's the hottest muggiest part easily.

So a few of us climb in one ring with a trainer and we go through what I would call the "Kata" of Muay Thai.... until someone corrects me.

Cycle through each of the moves for each body part.

Knees Blocking:
Low left block, low right block, medium left block, medium right block, high left block, high right block, stupid high left block, stupid high right block.

Knee Attack:
Forward, 45 degree to the ribs, slap to the ribs, to the chest to the leg connects, and finally a big jumping uppercut with the knee.

Ok, you get the point, lots of moves, lots of heat, sweating so much that at the end I was wearing sweat with elements of a singlet in it.

Dinner was good.
A nice clear chickenish broth with veggies, pork t-bone (thin) with a really nice gravy dipping with wilted spinach and salad, plus the standard serving of 6 slices of fruit that comes with each meal.

Time for a bit more reading, then wake up and do it all again.
Please Hanuman, make it cooler tomorrow.

Edit: Here's a nice sunset over my room.

2 comments:

  1. Added bonus of this is when you get back you can quit your well paid coding job and become a bouncer! Hooray!

    Keep pushing yourself man, unless you can't stand you need to do more! You're there for you, so make it count. :)

    ReplyDelete