Saturday 18 April 2015

Once you go black, you better come back

Yesterday was the first day of training, Friday.

Started off fairly straight forward.  A trainer wrapped my hands up, on went the boxing gloves and he showed me the stance, and how to throw the punches correctly.
One, two, one, two, knee, elbow, kick.

Then it was time on the bags with the one two punch.  Trying to keep my stance correct.
I got gotten a 1.5lt bottle of water from the kitchen and topped it up with this orange tasting electrolyte stuff, and was sipping from that when I could.

My arms were getting sore, naturally, and then it was time in the ring with the pads.
More one two elbow uppercut knee business.  Very fun though.

Then half an hour of stretching, which was probably harder than the actual Muay Thai training.
I am not flexible.

Then was breakfast, which was fruit, water, and a egg white omelet with veggies.  Quite nice, and from the looks of it, the standard breakfast, so that should be easy to get used to.

By this time it was about 10am and time for a break.
I stayed in my room, chatted on FB, listened to music and chilled out.

Two thirty comes around and time for lunch, more fruit and water.

Then an hours break before the afternoons training starts at four.

This was just functional training, gym stuff.
Lots of jumping jacks, waving arms around in painful directions, those tiny weights that end up feeling like a hundred kilos once you have to hold them out front for 30 seconds.

My arms were killing me, so I took a break and sat down on the edge of one of the boxing rings.
Then my vision started to go, seeing spots and such.

I called over the trainer and she rushed off to get me another dose of the electrolytes in a more concentrated form.
But it got worse, everything going black, can't see anything, blood rushing in my ears.
Three of the guys carried me off to the office area, sat me down, elevated the legs, cool towel on the back of my neck.
I'm freaking out because I can't see, my body's freaking out because I am, and it makes it worse.

One of the guys training turns out to be an Pommie Iraq veteran Medic who is used to dealing with heat exhausted soldiers.
So I get the full rundown from him.  Taking my pulse, asking me how much water I've had, turns out.... not enough.

They take my shirt off, then put it back on, legs up, legs down.
At one point I start to lean to far to the right and the Medic gives me a little slap upside the head to make me focus.

Him and Christian (the boss) carry me off to my room, get the air-con going, pump me full of water and keep watch.
The sight has returned and I feel much better at this point.
I'm told to stay in bed for an hour before I do anything.
Medic guy stays for a bit and we chat, he did three years in the army before going Private Millitary and contracting back to the US army.
Apparently getting 85,000 pound a year, not a bad living I guess.

I'm much better now, keeping up the fluids and I've got today and tomorrow off training, and then on Monday, easing me back into it, morning and evening training only I think, none of this heat of the day for me.

Anyway, it currently is the heat of the day and I'm trying to climitise better by writing this sitting on my little veranda... but there are gnats, flys and sweat dripping down my ass like Niagra falls... so I'm going to call it a post, and head back to the bed for a bit of light reading.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment