Friday 17 April 2015

No sleep till.. *guitar solo* BROOKLYN

No sleep and much travel makes Toby go something something...

Fitfull sleep last night, nervous energy, afraid I would miss the taxi.  Didn't, wide awake much earlier than I needed.
Isle seat on the bus means nothing to lean on, means no sleep.
Get to the Airport smack on time, which was nice... but it's an airport, so no sleeping their either.

Had a bite to eat and drink, then waited in the departure gate lobby.

All the people queuing up early so they can be the first ones to sit in the cigar tube of disappointment for the longest time possible.

I get on as late as possible, three rows from the back, isle seat again.

Except this time I spot an entire empty middle row of 4 seats, and nicely ask the flight attendant if I can sit there instead, she glared at me, I sat down.

Then, the two girls in my row ask a nicer lady if they can sit there, and she agrees.  Which leaves me with an entire empty row myself... for about 2 minutes, until some douche nugget takes the other isle seat.

I lay claim to three of the seats, and as soon as the seatbelt sign off, I am horizontal across the three seats, which isn't easy.  Four would have been brilliant, but three.... no....
My heads at a weird angle, and the blinds are open, it's hell.
I slowly rotate trying to find a better position to sleep in, and end up napping on and off for half the flight.

Decide to watch some inflight entertainment for the last half, and just as Wreck It Ralph get's to that great line "You wouldn't hit a guy with glasses", the PA cuts in and we are about to land.

Make it through immigration, security, baggage, the whole lot, nice and easy.
After a walk from one end to the other, I find a guy with my name on a A4 paper.
I point, he points, I follow him to a crappy bombed out Camry.
Cracks in the windshield, the door handle on the inside is jammed in place, and even though it's an auto, it almost stalls a few times getting out of the parking lot.
And I'm fairly sure it needs new CV joints, it's not supposed to rattle like that when you turn.

Then I find out why.... the guys a terrible driver.  Smooth is not in his vocab.
He taps the throttle whenever he speeds up, surging the car, almost made me feel worse than the plane.  But we barrel down the highway at 120, no indicators for anyone.  Standard stuff.

Then we arrive, the boss man Christian meets me, he's wearing boxing gloves, so shaking is awkward.  He gets Barbara, and we sort all the paperwork out.
I meet the two pitbulls, Simba and Nala.  Nice docile doggies.

The rooms are arranged in an L shape with the gym in the middle, two boxing rings, one MMA ring, bunch of bags.

I check into my room and decide to have a shower before dinner... when I get a shocking update.
Seriously, I'm shocked.... by the shower.
They recently installed new inline water heaters, and it's not grounded properly and the faucet shocks me.

So I switch plans and have dinner while they change me rooms.
I meet Guy who is leaving in two weeks, who apparently started at 160kg and is now much less.  Beau just started yesterday, but he's here for the Muay Thai. They are both Aussies.
Peter (Piotr) something like that... he's Italian, and some other names I can't remember, but apparently it's a booked house.

Dinner was tomato soup with pork and veggies, watermelon and mango and a pork t-bone with salad and veggies.  Quite nice.

So that's where we are up to.  Alarm is set for 8:15, and I will probably hit Snooze once or twice.
8:45am start and all I need is a quick shower, into shorts and walk outside.

Anyway, I'm knackered.... night.

3 comments:

  1. This will be a fun read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the joys of travel! Looking forward to hearing how it goes - dinner sounded a pretty good start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was way more detailed than I expected for a travel post, nice work. Really looking forward to the first day of training update now. :)

    ReplyDelete