Sunday 26 April 2015

All the Krav, all the time

I had my first sleep in yesterday morning, I had trouble sleeping the night before.  All the muscles hurt, and every time I got into a comfy position my left elbow would ache and I would need to move.
So I didn't really get to sleep until 2am.

So, I dismissed the morning alarm and slept through the first training session of the day, with the promise of doing the entire afternoon full ball.

That consisted of 16:00-16;40: Functional Training.
Which was a repetition of Squats, Plank, Wall Sit, Push Ups, Crunches.
Each for a minute with a 30 second break between them.  And yes, I was once again relegated to knee push-ups because... well... you would be too.
Lather, Rinse, Repeat.  For 40 minutes.

16:40-18:15 was more Muay Thai as per the norm.
The afternoon sessions always start with technique, which I really like.  Trying to remember the Thai names for the various moves and blocks.
I remember if it ends with what sounds like KLAT, then it's a half spin attack.  For example you punch with the right, take a step the left and spin that way and bring your left arm behind you.  Kind of hard to explain.

Then I had a quick break before Krav Maga with Jerry (Shout out to website Krav Maga Thailand) the eternally chipper Irish man, whose every second sentence ends with "and then a knee to the balls,"

Krav was from 19:15 to 20:15.  But it felt like weeks.
Chris had taken the night off, so it was just Jerry and I, which meant we focused a bit more on technique and drills rather than sparring as we had the other session.  So the carbon fiber (extra large) box I had bought was for naught for this lesson.

I was doing three minute drills against a wall mounted bag.
Flick the eyes with a backhand, upper cut palm strike, elbow to the temple and all together now... and then a knee to the balls.
Then there was the eye-stab variant as well.
And as a cool down, I practiced kicking a punching bag in the nuts in three different ways.

Saturday morning rolls around, and everyone is fast asleep, no Muay Thai on Saturday mornings... but there is Krav Maga, so I'm out of bed with a small sleep in of half an hour.

Chris joins in and we learn a few more maneuvers to get out of situations we shouldn't have been in in the first place.  Far and away our favorite was what to do when being choked from the front, or it also worked for a double lapel grab.
Basically it was twist really quick and you end up with their arms caught under your armpit, then your arm is in the perfect spot for an elbow to the eye socket, and when he's bent over, a knee to the balls.
The Krav is a lot of fun because your actually dealing with someone, physically grabbing them and kneeing them, rather than a guy with pads.

Being Saturday (And ANZAC day by the way) we still had Muay Thai in the afternoon.
No respect for the Australian public holidays...

Two things of note from this session.  I was in the ring today, unlike other days down on the mats (Which is sooo much cooler its crazy), so I walked up and rolled into the ring under the low rope, pulled my gloves hands up to my head and used them as a pillow.  Was quite nice.
Until I had one of the Thai trainers come and lay down on top of me.
Muay Thai turned into Grecko Roman Wrestling to get the guy off me.

The other being to finish off my pad session in the ring, which got to about 5 rounds I think, I had to do 100 consecutive punches to the pads.
The trainer is standing there rattling off where I'm up to... in Thai... so really I have no idea.
I just keep throwing punches.  Eventually he stands back and we are done.  So totally done for the week.

Shower, Rest, Facebook, YouTube.
Found a rendition of the ANZAC bugle with a minutes silence in it, so played that and stood and remembered the ANZAC's as best I could.

Then off to the kitchen for dinner.  Tomato soup (With actual potato chunks) and five huge king prawns also in a Tomato type soup.
Very tomato-y dinner.
Looking forward to Breakfast/Lunch tomorrow down at Mama Lak's.  Get some Pud Thai into me :)

Finally here is a few photos, and the video of a pad session.


They even brand the Cups :)

Haven't watched it yet, uploading as soon as the gloves came off.

Posted by Toby Wild on Friday, April 24, 2015

1 comment:

  1. I bet the longer you do it the better you'll feel after so getting to sleep will get easier and easier :)

    Carbon fibre cup, hahahah thats amazing. Nice work on remembering the ANZAC's. :)

    ReplyDelete