Saturday 11 April 2015

Last day of work, T-Minus 6 days

It was the last day of work today for the next 15 weeks, and that makes less than a week until I leave to start the big transformation.

A few people asked if it was one of those cruisey last days, like the day before Christmas, but it was the other... panic turned up to 11 trying to get the two huge projects I've been working on to a point where they can be finished or delivered without me.

Going line by line of code explaining why I made the decisions I made... and most of the time the answer was, "I did it like this, and it works, and I'm afraid to change it now."

But enough of work, no need to worry about that for over one hundred days.
Unless I get calls and emails like I did last time, which I'm sure I wont.

There was lots of people congratulating me today, and how proud they are of me, and how they could never do it, or how it sounded amazing and they want to do it.
Well, it's not that hard really.

If you really want to, and I mean REALLY want to, there is only two things you need to do.  Organise the time, be it lucky as I was with getting Leave Without Pay so I still have a job when I get back, or something more drastic as quitting, which I was ready to do if I had to.
Work to Live, don't Live to Work.

And the other is the cost.  I'm again lucky that I have such great parents and family that are all rally around and helping out.  But when you think about it, in some aspects, I'm going to be spending much less money that if I didn't go.
I will be saving $900 in parking vouchers, $1500 in breakfast and lunches, petrol, and more that I can't think of at midnight.

Put your health ahead of everything else.  It's the one thing you can't do without.
Healthy and broke, or Dead and rich.
I know which one I was ready to choose.

Six days left..... it's getting close.... it's getting real....
Next week will be a blur, and suddenly I will be typing this, not on my nice big bed, covered in blankets and doonas... but on a single bed in a small air-con room, with probably just a sheet.
The other side of the equator.  A different life for 85 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment