Friday 24 April 2015

All abord the Aaaarrrgghhhhh Train

Hanumn listened to my prayers and we have had a few days a bit cooler.

Today was actually quite excellent, which was a pity as I was to exhausted and sore to finish the Muay Thai session in the afternoon.

Yesterday first, what day is it... right..

Wednesday was yesterday.
Pretty standard morning I think, except I remember doing 25 jab punch combos in one of the pad sessions, that was a killer.

Oh, but it rained in the afternoon which was fan-freaking-tastic.  Thunder, lightning, it was brilliant.  Turns out it created a small cyclone, and a street a few kilometers away had been hit pretty hard, knocking over power and telephone lines, fences, the whole bit.

The gloves weight 400g each, so it's like doing everything with those little cardio weights on, I'm sure the extra heft hurts when you punch someone, but right now... it's just heavy.

Although my arms are getting stronger, I can hold them up in the guard position for longer that I could the first few days.

So after the afternoon session of Muay Thai, I was packing up when Barbara said the Krav Maga guy will be there in about an hour.  Nothing serious, just light technique.
So I go back to my unit, shower, change, then in an hour, head back out.

I meet the Krav Maga instructor.
For those that don't know, it's the close quarter combat system developed by the Israeli army, and has spread to the American special forces and such.
It's aggressive and holds nothing back.
The guy I met, Jerry, is a very nice talkative Irish man who lives in the same street that got hit by the mini-cyclone.
He's tall and kinda lanky, not a muscle machine like you would expect from a MMA or Boxing instructor.

Tuns out only one other guy has signed up for the Krav lessons (Three times a week), Chris from Manchester, who is on the same program as me.

So we jump into the ring, and already I'm sweating through my change of clothes, that shower was a waste of time.
He gives us a spiel on what Krav Maga is about and a bit of history, and why he likes it, and the "style" he teaches.
It's not so much traditional Krav Maga as it is how to get out of a real life confrontation in an explosive manner.

The first move me get taught is what to do if someone grabs up by our arm.
Ignore the grab and use your other arm to open palm strike upper cut into the guys chin, then when he's arched back, knee to the nuts twice, then when he's doubled over, hammer fist to the back of the skull.

It's dirty street fighting, but that's what the other guy is going to do to you if you let him.
Then we did what if they grab both your arms, pretty much the same move.

Then the all important shirt grab.
A favorite opener for all the "YOU ME CARPARK NOW" yobos out there.
This time you grab their hand that's got you and you keep it pinned to your chest so they can't get away, get them off balance and again, nuts nuts skull skull.

It's really interesting, and I'm fairly sure I learnt this stuff fighting in Primary School.
But it work's, and that's the key.

He also had a rubber knife and gun,  We get to play with those later on.

So by the end of this "easy" session Chris and I are both drenched (As the rings are about 10 degrees hotter than anywhere else) and both have slightly tender manly areas where a few knees went a bit to far.
Need to invest in a cup methinks.

So, that was yesterday.

Today, well... sitting here typing... I'm fucking knackered.

I did every session today.

Muay Thai in the morning, then functional training, which was lots of leg and ab work.
Breakfast, break.
Then back into it for more functional training, which destroyed my legs even more.  Three minutes stepping, then push ups, crunches, lunges, squats, then all again with 5 less reps.
Oh my freaking god.

After that was more Muay Thai, and we did the forms again, which involve a superman punch and a flying knee.
I did one flying knee and almost collapsed on landing, my legs were DONE.

Still managed three pad sessions, which is always fun.  The trainers are funny as well.
Do a big knee into the guard and they pretend to be winded and stumble back.
When I was looking a  bit woozey before my second pad session my trainer called for some Cocaine.  Which is actually tiger balm they rub onto their palms, then your take some deep breaths.  And boy does it prop you up for a few minutes. :)

I called it a day shortly after my third session, The outside of my hands were tingling as was the end of my nose, which I took as the first signs of full on exhaustion.
Last thing my trainer did was rub tiger balm on my forehead and temples... what an asshole :)
It burned, but then the burn turned into a cool burn which was actually really nice.

Oh, before I finish... dinner was really good.
About two fillets of fish, very lightly grilled (maybe poached) with this really nice broth at the bottom, with veggies of course.
But the fish was so good I ate most of the veggies my themselves to savor the fish even more.
And washed it down with a Soda Water.  mmmmm, fizzy make feel good.

Ok, peace out.
Might get some photos tomorrow.
Night.

1 comment:

  1. Wow well done dude keep up the punches and flying kicks! You're making me hungry with this Thai food talk, they know how to cook!

    ReplyDelete